Garlic Scape, Pistachio, and Butter Pesto – It’s so buttery and so crazy good
OH MAH GOSH. Everyone should make pesto with butter. Why isn’t this an everyday thing? Why does olive oil reign supreme in the world of pesto? Time to step down olive oil, because butter makes pesto crazy good. And while were at it, let’s ask pine nuts to scoot over a bit. Pistachios are kind of genius in pesto. They add a light sweetness that pairs well with the aromatic garlic scapes. When I tasted it, I wanted to keep eating it — until I realized that I should probably use it in some recipes. My breath was starting to smell super garlicky, and I didn’t care, I just wanted another small taste. But… the recipes.
“Just one more taste,” the pesto beckons.
DARN YOU, DELICIOUS BUTTER PESTO.
This recipe will yield a little over 2 cups. And now that I have put the spoon down, my brain is overflowing with ideas. Here are some of those ideas:
- smother some gnocchi (with shrimp!) or other gluten free pasta
- top a baked potato, roasted taters, in mashed potatoes, potato salad
- top steak, pork chops, salmon, scallops
- use under the skin of roasted chicken
- mix into steamed veggies
- make deviled eggs with it, egg salad
- make pesto rice
- garnish soup with it
- use it as a pizza sauce
- chicken wings
- gluten free pesto lasagna
- pesto meatballs
- steamed mussels/clams in pesto with white wine
- pesto salmon/sardine cakes
And some stuff I’ve made that really doesn’t need a recipe but here are some pictures:
So hurry and get to the farmers’ market and buy up all the scapes. You can even buy them online. By the way, make your life easy and use a high-powered blender (like a Vitamix) or a food processor to blend the ingredients. I’d also recommend that you use Kerrygold Butter. It’s one of the best tasting butters out there.
- 2 cups chopped garlic scapes
- 1 cup pistachio meat
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Add all dry ingredients to food processor and grind into a coarse paste.
- Slowly incorporate melted butter.
- Ready to be used in recipes and/or stored in fridge or freezer.
Edited to add: Since I’m all out of garlic scapes but still had a craving for more butter pesto I have substituted the scapes for : one bunch of fresh basil and 2 cloves of garlic. The basil, pistachio and butter pesto is just as amazing.
I’d love to hear about any types of butter pesto you have made. #downwithEVOO